In preparation for its updating of the accessibility codes, the Division of the State Architect (DSA) Advisory Board is seeking input and comments from interested parties through a series of Access Code Forums. The Forums will be hosted throughout California by the DSA Regional Offices in May, June, and July of 2012.
DSA’s goal for the 2013 access code update is to provide end users of the access code clarity and consistency through an integrated document combining the most stringent provisions from the 2010 California Building Code and the federal 2010 ADA Standards.
This is your chance as a design professional to help the DSA and the profession by creating a clear and consistent access regulations update to California’s accessibility code provisions.
The Forums will be held with the following discussion topics, dates and locations (see addresses below).
- Forum No. 1 – Chapter 3: Building Blocks and Proposed Emergency Items
24 May 2012 in Sacramento
- Forum No. 2 – Accessible Routes and Chapter 5: General Site and Building Elements
31 May 2012 in Oakland
- Forum No. 3 – Chapter 6: Plumbing Elements and Facilities
7 June 2012 in Sacramento
- Forum No. 4 – Chapter 7: Communication Elements and Features
14 June 2012 in Los Angeles
- Forum No. 5 – Chapter 8: Special Rooms and Spaces and Chapter 9: Built-in Elements
21 June 2012 in Sacramento
- Forum No. 6 – Chapter 10: Recreational Facilities
10 July 2012 in San Diego
- Forum No. 7 – Chapter 1: Application and Administration, Title II State and Local Government Facilities and Title III Public Accommodations and Commercial Facilities
17 July 2012 in Sacramento
You may participate in person at the Forum location and by video-conference at the other DSA Regional offices. A call-in teleconference line will also be available. Draft language will be posted on the DSA web-site and distributed to interested parties on the Access 2013 Stakeholder e-mail list, with alternative formats provided upon request.
These forums provide the first opportunity for public input as DSA reconciles the recently adopted federal accessibility requirements with the existing State building codes. Ultimately, these proposed changes will be submitted to the California Building Standards Commission for additional public review and comment prior to adoption and approval.
Forums will be hosted by the DSA Regional Offices at the following locations:
Sacramento Regional Office
1102 Q Street, Suite 5100
Sacramento CA 95811
Los Angeles Regional Office
700 North Alameda Street, Suite 5-500
Los Angeles CA 90012
Oakland Regional Office
1515 Clay Street, Suite 1201
Oakland CA 94612
San Diego Regional Office
10920 Via Frontera, Suite 300
San Diego CA 92127